Thursday, August 18, 2011

Introducing The Secretary

The secretary at work

The Secretary in her original surroundings, before we hoisted it home at a brisk pace, much to the surprise of onlookers. It is not everyday you see a couple carting a writing desk over the Mont Blanc bridge!

The original dumpster find that started the obsession (cell phone picture, terrible lighting). Isn't it lovely? Unfortunately, I wasn't the only one who thought so. I just tell myself the glass surface wouldn't have worked well for typing, anyway.

It's been a fun couple of days of research, learning about desks! For space - and sanity - reasons, I am not going to be collecting these items, as beautiful and "retro tech" as they may be. However, if you would like to see some examples of writing desks I found interesting, take a look at the Google image search results for bonheur du jour, bureau a gradin, lady's writing desk, secretary desk, and Carlton House desk.

What is your desk like?

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, that looks very nice and useful.

    Some of those French desks you linked to are just ... ooh la la!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful desk, lots of paper-sized drawers and plenty of room for a typewriter and some pens. Just about perfect! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice desk! Mine is such a mess it can hardly be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good desk is worth its weight in gold, especially for one who draws, writes and types!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the same situation, wanting a desk for working and writing and typing, but not having any space in which to put one. The best I've managed is one of those metal typing tables with the fold-up shelves on the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For typing I have a metal one like mpclemens. But I also have a dilapidated atrocity, made of flat-pack, particle board, which has sadly become the indispensable center of all of my other activities. There's something Freudian in that, I'm afraid.

    Yours is gorgeous, much more elegant than the one which absconders obtained.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please note that comments are moderated; so this will be posted as soon as I have read it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...